Iran: Saudi Arabia wouldn't kill Khashoggi without U.S. blessing

H6 caravan

H6 caravan

A State Department official told CNN that the suspects whose visas were being revoked would not be named due to "visa confidentiality".

Mr Trump spoke hours after Turkey's president, Tayyip Erdogan, dismissed Saudi efforts to blame Mr Khashoggi's death on rogue operatives.

The writer, who was a contributor to The Washington Post, vanished October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Turkey, where he went to pick up documents for his marriage to his Turkish fiancee.

"There are many inconsistencies and lies in what Saudi Arabia says, even a child will not trust them".

Saudi authorities did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the remarks by Trump and the Erdogan adviser.

Saudi Arabia has said the heir-apparent of the world's top oil exporter was not involved, but any major decision must be signed off by the highest powers within its ruling Al Saud family.

"They had a very bad original concept", Mr Trump said.

Mr Trump did not give his views on who was ultimately responsible.

"The foreign secretary and the foreign ministers and our ambassador have been making our position very clear to the Saudi Arabians", she said.

Saudi officials initially denied claims he was dead and said he had left the consulate. Turkish authorities said Saudi Arabia has now granted police permission to search a well in the garden of the consulate where Khashoggi was killed, after Riyadh had previously refused to allow a search. According to two intelligence sources, Mr Qahtani ran the killing by giving orders over Skype.

Mnuchin also met with Mohammed bin Salman at a time when the investigation into the journalist's murder was already ongoing.

Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who was often critical of Riyadh in his reporting, was killed in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul earlier this month.

The kingdom's announcement that Khashoggi died in a "fistfight" was met with worldwide skepticism and allegations of a cover-up to absolve the 33-year-old crown prince of direct responsibility.

He said 18 people had been arrested - three from the consulate and a further 15 who are believed to be part of a hit squad who flew to Istanbul to carry out the killing - and they should all stand trial in Istanbul.

An adviser to Turkey's president said Prince Mohammed had "blood on his hands" over Khashoggi, the bluntest language yet from someone linked to Erdogan.

Erdogan never mentioned Mohammed bin Salman in his speech and did not play an audio of the killing that news accounts have cited. "I said, 'Where did it start?' And he said it started at lower levels".

Mr Trump also said USA intelligence officials, including CIA director Gina Haspel, were returning from Turkey and Saudi Arabia with information about the case. We don't know in terms of details how.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.