Statue of Liberty climber pleads not guilty to trespassing

Woman tries to climb Statue of Liberty in apparent protest of ICE

Woman tries to climb Statue of Liberty in apparent protest of ICE

She was apprehended by New York Police Department officers after a almost four-hour standoff as she refused to descend from the national monument's base.

The protest group Rise and Resist said in a statement that Okoumou's decision to climb the statue was made independently of the group, without consulting any other member of the group.

Rise and Resist, an organization dedicated to fighting for "equality, justice, and human rights" unfurled a banner that read "Abolish I.C.E", calling for the Trump administration to put an end to immigration policies.

The earlier demonstration involving the "Abolish Ice" slogan is linked to a long-running protest against the government's Immigration and Customs Enforcement body, the agency responsible for identifying and removing undocumented immigrants throughout the US.

People climb on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor Wednesday, July 4.

A New York Police Department source told CNN that Okoumou said she would only come down after "all the children are released", referring to the separated migrant kids being held in detention centers near the border.

As they approached, she initially moved away, took off her shoes and appeared to be starting to climb further.

For almost three hours, Okoumou crossed the base of Lady Liberty and refused orders from police to get down.

The incident forced park officials to evacuate the island on July 4 - one of the most popular days of the year for visitors.

She allegedly refused to leave the building and police claim she flailed her arms and legs around while lying on the ground, striking an officer in the process.

"We just tried to get a dialogue with her while she was up there", Detective Brian Glacken of the NYPD Emergency Service Unit said at an evening briefing Wednesday.

Okoumou is affiliated with the protest group Rise and Resist, according to Martin Joseph Quinn, an organizer of the group.

However, others are questioning whether this is the correct way to protest, and Jerry Willis, a National Park Service spokesman, told The New York Times that many tourists lost their chance to see the statue up close due to Okoumou's actions.

After almost four hours on the statue, the woman finally accompanied police down off the monument, tethered to them by wires. "It was not part of our action", he said.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.