Autopsy confirms man died from vape pen explosion

Credit Pixabay

Credit Pixabay

A Florida man was killed by an exploding vape pen, authorities say. An autopsy report obtained by WFTS confirmed that the e-cigarette penetrated his skull and brain.

Firefighters discovered him in an upstairs bedroom at the St. Petersburg home after responding to a fire alarm.

The cause of death was listed as "projectile wound of head" - the pen exploded into pieces, at least two of which were sent into his head, the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner said - and he suffered burns on about 80 percent of his body.

Former CNBC producer Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia, 38, passed away earlier this month on May 5 in St. Petersburg, FL after his vape pen/e-cigarette exploded, igniting a fire in his bedroom. Officials are ruling the death an accident, but that's hardly comforting for D'Elia's friends and family.

A U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) report, released in 2017 and covering the periods 2009-2016, attributed catastrophic injuries from e-cigarette explosions to a product design problem, i.e., using cylindrical lithium-ion batteries in cylindrical tubes.

Weeks said that a lot of people are switching from smoking to vaping, because vaping does less harm to the body.

An exploding vaping pen caused the world's first death by an e-cigarette explosion.

The report did not reveal a cause for the device explosion, but a representative told ABC Action News that it was likely due to an atomizer or battery issue.

A few days after D'Elia's tragic death, an eighteen (18) year old in MI suffered severe burns when e-cigarette batteries he was carrying in his pocket exploded. The study warned against the use of lithium-ion batteries stating that since "lithium-ion batteries continue to be used in e-cigarettes, severe injuries will continue to occur".

There were 195 separate e-cigarette fire and explosion incidents in the United States reported by the media between 2009 and 2016, according to data released past year by the US Fire Administration. In 2013, Jennifer Ries was awarded $1.9 million when she suffered second-degree burns from an e-cigarette explosion while Los Angeles Superior Court is now investigating 10 civil suits filed across the state by injured e-cigarette users. The company said they've encountered previous issues with other manufacturers creating imitation batteries.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.